Saturday, March 21, 2009

Some people you wish could speak more, some you wish wouldn't speak at all

I had a good day at work yesterday, because it was Friday and I knew I had a really fun weekend ahead of me. I have come to really love Rincon Latino on a Friday night - there are lots of people, a good DJ, you always get a free drink with the entrance fee, and this time I had a really good group going along with me: some people from work and my half-Czech friend Katy.

After work I went for some pivo and pizza with Miguel. We had a nice time, laughed a lot, and I'll be meeting his "habibi friend" (as he calls it, meaning his Arab friend) next week sometime. Around 10pm I met up with Katy and her two friends, and Adina at the hotel. We walked over to the club, got in and got our free Coronas. I spotted a really cute guy who was looking back at me, figuring he was latino, and as he walked away he winked at me. A drink in hand, salsa pumping, good friends, people dancing, and a cute boy I'd surely dance with later. These were all the makings of a really good night.

And it was, for quite some time. I left the dancing room out to the hallway at one point to make a quick phonecall, and the guy was out there. He said something to me; my ears were trying to hear Spanish but nothing made sense. It was Czech. I said back to him, "I don't speak Czech." He said something back to me in Czech. After going back and forth like this a while, he finally pointed to me, pointed to himself, and did a little boogie. He wanted to dance. Okay, sure. :)

So we danced. And danced, and danced, and danced. I looked over and Adina was dancing, Katy was dancing, Katy's friends were dancing, everyone was having a great time. People would walk by and shake my hand or give me a quick cheek kiss; I'm becoming quite a regular at this spot, and it's starting to feel like the salsa clubs in Pittsburgh, where everybody knows everybody. I finished dancing with my guy for a little while, and ended up dancing with a gypsy with a cute smile, and then his gypsy friend who also had a nice smile. I really need to learn Czech when I get back so I can talk to these people. I got back to my guy (who is Slovak, by the way, and his dad is Italian.. unfortunately he doesn't speak Italian, because if he did we could probably talk to each other).

And then Adina found me out in the hallway: "My purse was stolen."

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddggggggggggeeeeeeee.

I asked a Cuban friend if he knew anything, or could somehow check to see if it had been picked up by an employee, anything at all. No luck, unfortunately. We all looked around but found nothing; it was gone. Now some might not call this lucky, but I do, that it was just her keys, cell phone, and make-up. Sure it's all a bitch to replace, but she did leave her wallet at home, so there wasn't any threat of identity theft, etc.

Except that a short time later, Katy had to leave, and she had my camera and a few other things of mine in her purse. She had her purse but went to leave and...her wallet was gone. This one contained all her IDs (Czech and USA), her money, her credit cards... everything. Now THAT sucks.

But there wasn't anything left to do... Katy and her friends had gone, and a short time later, Adina went as well. I was getting very sleepy. So I stayed about another half hour with my Slovak boy, and upon getting someone to translate from Czech into Spanish (of all things) for me, we agreed to meet tonight in front of the same club at 10pm to go down to I.P. Pavlova together for another club that we're supposed to go to tonight called Radost. I'm not sure if that's still on, due to all the theft, unfortunately.

And after we set up our meeting place and time, I left. I got up to the corner where my hotel is, when a tall older guy with a briefcase started talking to me in Czech as I was walking. I ignored it, because anybody who's talking to you at 3:30 AM is probably not good. Then I heard him say, "You speak English? I really just need to ask you a question."

So I turned around, figuring he maybe needed directions (yeah, I'd be a big help there:) or maybe a question about trams or something.

He continued on, in a really creepy voice.. kind of like how you'd imagine a leprechaun would speak, minus the Irish accent, plus a Czech accent. "Hi, I just want to tell you, that I saw you crossing the street and your physical appearance is very exciting for me..."

I stopped him right there. I rolled my eyes and turned around and kept walking.

He started again, "Please just listen, I am sorry if I offended you, I really just have a question."
"I don't want to hear it, just get away from me."
"I just came from my work, and I was just about to go home, and I saw you crossing the street and I am not very tired, and you excite me, and I wanted to know if maybe we could go have a small drink together, because you are a very beautiful girl, and you are very exciting to me..."

If he said the word "exciting" one more time I was going to vomit in the street. The guy was so creepy. I turned again and walked away. This time he kept yelling after me, and walking faster. I got scared, broke into a run, and luckily within about 10 steps I was inside the hotel lobby safe and sound.

Prague was scary for the first time last night.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, and scary for your mother, too! Maybe you should stock up on diaper pins when you get home?

    ReplyDelete