Sunday, March 1, 2009

Leila bil-layl

Last night I went out with Leila to a club called Roxy. I took the metro all by myself!! I didn't even get confused. We met up and went to an Italian restaurant, which was good. Gossipped a little (as usual:) and went to the club. It was a strange but cool place. The people were kind of 'alternative' if that makes any sense, and the DJ was really good. There was one guy in the middle of a huge dance floor, doing the beginning hands-in-pockets sway move that Napoleon Dynamite does right before he busts out, but the bust-out never came. He just did that for about an hour until finally a few others joined him.

Also, we got our picture taken for an internet magazine. I hope I am famous soon. :)

We had a couple drinks there - my first Bacardi & Cokes with lime since I've been here - and then headed to, you guessed it, a latin club. I didn't dance, I was exhausted from the night/day before. I had a couple caipirinhas (which only cost a couple dollars here and are delicious) and chilled out.

On my second trip to the bar, I was standing waiting in line to order something, and a guy came over to me. He was a little shorter than me, and older (I'd guess around 40).

He asked in Spanish, "Do you speak Spanish?"
"Yes."
"Oh great.. I don't want to seem rude or anything, but I'm from Peru, and my friend over there is from Bolivia and our other friend there is latino as well, and, well.. we wanted to know where you're from. We were all trying to guess but we have no idea."
I laughed, because that really is pretty hilarious. I replied, "My dad is Palestinian, and my mom is American."
"Ohhh so that explains why you look latina then... so how is it that you speak Spanish?"
"I just learned in school.. studied abroad, travel as much as I can.."
And it went on from there.. we talked about why we're both in Prague a bit and then ended the conversation. He was nice.

Around 1:30am we were both sleepy. We went walking through the streets a bit, a lot of African guys like to randomly walk up to us and ask where we're going and if we want to go have a drink. I answer everybody on the street; the Pittsburgher in me is fine talking to strangers. I think I surprise Leila with it a bit each time :) Sorry girl.

Anyway, that was that - I took a very crowded night-tram back to the hotel. My sleepiness went away so I thought I'd do a couple loads of laundry, since they take so long here. I washed all my jeans, a pair of dress pants for work, and all my socks - since these are the things I'm running out of the most. :) I also washed my soiled white jacket, which is whiter now but still not pristine like it was when I got here. It's okay.

The only downside was that after about an hour, I got really tired. So, it was a very weird schedule, but I put the first load in at 2:45am, it was done around 4am. Then I put some stuff in the dryer, put my jacket in the washer (since I don't put it in the dryer anyway), then set my alarm for like 6:40 AM (so I slept from about 4:15 to 6:40), went down and got my stuff, came back up and went to sleep until about noon. :)

Now I'm waiting on some Aribians (any Aribian, really) to call so we can go eat. I called Moff and we're going to wait for a couple others who arrived/are arriving this weekend want to come. Jess arrives today, so we'll see what time she's getting in.

That's all for now.. kisses to Pittsburgh.

1 comment:

  1. I watched the dance scene from Napoleon Dynamite yesterday. It was hillarious! :))) Hmm the praguer in me is changing her opinion about strangers...

    ReplyDelete