Saturday, September 19, 2009

Pesadillas vol. 2

I just had the most terrible nightmare.... I don't want to write what it was, though, because I'm a bit superstitious that if you talk about these things then they might happen. (Kind of like if you use a made-up excuse like, "I can't come because my mom's in he hospital" she might really end up in the hospital or something).

The week hasn't really been an interesting one, except for one thing - I went to an amazing concert from Goran Bregovic in Old Town Square (for free!) on Thursday. Boy was it awesome - I'd never heard him - rather, never even heard OF him - until the night of the Portuguese dinner when everyone was talking about it. I went to the concert with the intention of meeting up with Beliza and her friends but the crowd was so huge that we didn't manage at all. I went with Adina and Diana and we had a blast.

On to the weekend...

Last night I went to a beer garden with Nora and Adina and some of Adina's friends. Nearly all of the friends were American. We started out in a nice small group and it got bigger and bigger. Now, I've met only two or three Americans since I've been here, and only one I see on a regular basis at work (the other two I just met in passing somewhere). I was really excited at first to be around them - when they asked where I was from, I didn't have to say, "The US", I could say, "Pittsburgh" without even saying Pennsylvania and they'd know exactly what I was talking about. There were people from Florida, from Buffalo, from Chicago, from Arizona, all over. And I felt like we were neighbors.

That is, until they all started drinking. And playing drinking games. And yelling. And laughing so loud that you could hear them from the other end of the place (it's a big place). I won't say for a second that all of them were like this; the ones who were Adina's friends were actually very very nice and chill. But these extras that came... they were the people who populate every Southside bar on a Friday night and then go puke in the street. And all of a sudden I wanted to leave... because even across the world, these people are no more appealing.

Now I see why people all over the world hate Americans - because we have these specimins EVERYWHERE.


Guy: So what do you girls do?
Me: We work for a software company.
Guy: Wow! So what do you actually do?
Me: We work in the customer support department.
Guy: Oh so you have to deal with idiots all day. I could never work there - I'd be the guy who's like, "FUUCKK YOOOOU!! NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS!!!" *click*, see, I could never work there.
Us: *nodding*
Guy: I'd be cussing out the customers all the time like, "YOU'RE ALL IDIOTS! GO FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF!!"
Us: .......
Guy: I'd totally get fired for cussing out customers. Anyway so where are you from?
Nora: I'm from Hungary.
Guy: Oh AWESOME, I wanna go to Budapest so bad.
Nora: Oh, it's really not the best city to visit.
Guy: Well, that's the opposite of everything I've ever heard from anyone else. And where are you from?
Me: Pittsburgh.
Guy: Oh, so I guess you're a Steelers fan.
Me: You know it.
Guy: You guys didn't deserve the Superbowl last year. I'm a __something__ fan and we really should have won that game.
Me: Okay....but you didn't. And we did.
Guy: OHHHH!! OHHHH!! SO IT'S LIKE THAT NOW!!! Hahah, I'm just messin' with you.


It went on like this until I couldn't take anymore, and Nora and I politely excused ourselves and walked to where we could find some trams. We decided we wanted to dance so we went to Radost thinking it was going to be some good music for dancing, but it was some kind of electronic stuff. Worst part was that we paid 150Kc to get in, which I really couldn't afford to be throwing away right now (I'm being veeery careful until payday). We had one drink and left, and got on a tram to go to another club near old town square, but Nora suggested she'd like to try salsa dancing (which I'll never say no to) and we headed to Rincon instead. It was good, I didn't dance except for a little bit with some huge guy from Guinea, but I was just tired. After about an hour and a half we headed home, Nora in a cab and me on foot.

All in all a good start to the weekend, though. Tonight I'm going to the Mexican carnaval party with Diana and Adina, maybe dinner at some point, and then dancing. Should be a lot of fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment