Saturday, August 15, 2009

Yesterday and Today

Work yesterday was surprisingly calm - it felt so good to be productive without all the chaos of the rest of this past week. After work I went with Beliza and Brent to Ikea in Černý Most. Černý Most is FAR. I never realized how far it was. I realized I was looking for apartments of equal distance in the opposite direction, and I'm so glad I picked the one here, so close to work.

Ikea was as fun as it always is, but exhausting as well. It turns out Beliza and I are insanely alike, right down to the type of mattress we like, to the bed we want, to the pillow we like, and a lot of other little things we keep finding out every day. We ended up falling in love with the same mattress and bed, difference is that she bought hers yesterday and I am waiting a while until I have it lined up financially. I was glad I got to see the total though, so I know exactly what I'll be spending. She didn't pay to have it taken upstairs, though, so my delivery cost will be different - she has an elevator and I have 3 flights of steps. Those men will be taking it upstairs AND putting it together for me! Heck if I'm going to have a squeaky rickety bed for the next few years.

Everything else was just overwhelming. I don't even know yet what I need, so trying to figure it out now is just impossible. I realized I'll have to go to the apartment, clean, move things around to my liking (as there is already some furniture there), and slowly think of certain individual items I want/need to make it complete. I tried to figure out how I'm going to hang a shower curtain, as it will need to have a corner/curve, but I'll worry about that later. None of it is pressing or urgent, just the bed - that's the only thing I want soon. Other than that, I'm content doing this piece by piece, like a project.

Admittedly I would really like a couch, though, and a chair, and some decoration. It's going to take forever before it looks like "mine".

After that extravaganza, we got the 8:45pm Ikea shuttle back to the metro station, and took the station back to Národní třída. We went to a restaurant whose name I can't remember now (Beliza and leave another comment on this one:), but where I had the most satisfying meal that I've had since I've been back.

Brent got some kind of chicken dish that Beliza recommended, and Beliza and I both had something that was described as "spiced mixed beef with egg yolk and french fries" blablabla... this ended up being a hamburger patty with an egg yolk cooked on top of it, with french fries and a couple different kinds of cabbage on the side. Might sound boring/odd to some of you but I will say this with no hesitation - I effing love Czech food! Every meal feels like "Mom's homemade ___" (fill in blank) because it's always hearty and filling and warm. It just always tastes homemade, which is nice when I'm this far from home.

Alas, I am back to the real world of wanting many things that I can't have (yet). Today will be fun, I'm going to walk around the city with Brent today. We did a lot of walking last night - we went from Národní třída metro station and after searching for a bar to have a final beer, ended up just walking back to Anděl, and me a bit further toward Bertramka. It was pleasant :)

Anyway, it's nearly 10:30am and we're meeting at 12. I'm going to go shower, get dressed, and get going.

Hugs to everyone.

1 comment: