Tuesday, October 6, 2009

One man's junk... Part 2

Today after work I went to the health clinic to pick up a form for my appointment on Thursday. After that, since I was near Narodni Trida, I stopped at the middle eastern market to pick up a few things. I felt satisfied with having gone somewhere semi-interesting after work, and happily walked home from the metro station.

As I was coming into the building, I noticed some gypsy children playing in my boxes and paper again, scattering it all over the sidewalk. A woman was going inside the building with her child, and asked me once we got in the door, "I was wondering, are all of those boxes yours?"
"Yes."
"Oh.. I'm sorry to tell you, but the garbage men won't take this. You have to take it to the park around the corner, to the big bins."
"Ohh no, it's been a mess all week, I'm so sorry."
"You couldn't possibly know if you just moved to the building."
(I wanted to reply, "I couldn't possibly know that garbage men won't take garbage unless I'd just moved to the COUNTRY," but I refrained.)

So around 7:30pm, I decided to suit up and head out to get to work on the boxes. I had a hunch, and looked out over my balcony to see that the kids were still swimming in garbage. So I waited another hour and went out around 8:45, when all was clear.

I managed to fill one of the bins completely with all of the miscellaneous paper and stuff that was packed inside the boxes, and then managed to crush all the boxes and carry everything in two (very heavy) trips.

I must say, there is no chivalry here. At least three men saw me hauling a hugely heavy box, one of them I actually had to pull by part of the lid because I couldn't even lift it, and nobody offered to help. I hate to make comparisons, but in Pittsburgh, ANYONE would have offered to help if they saw a girl struggling with something heavy.

Here, I'm impressed if a guy lets me walk out of a door ahead of him.

Ohhh well.. it's done now, and no more angry neighbors.

1 comment:

  1. Well, yeah... It's true that here the definition of "gentleman" really doesn't apply... :(
    When someone helps, it makes it even more special, though. Always look at the bright side ;)

    ReplyDelete