Saturday, October 10, 2009

How many Prahas can you visit in a day?

I haven't felt like updating but I had such a crazy week that I really must.

Before I go on, the story I'm about to tell is a bit awkward, but also natural. Please pardon any personal info here - I really think the story is greater than my pride. Sorry, Mom.

In the US, I was taking birth control pills, for reasons other than the obvious. I didn't take them since I arrived here, and it was miserable - I decided I really needed to get a prescription. So I contacted my company's services, and after a lot of back and forth, found out that they couldn't give me an appointment anytime soon unless I saw a non-English speaking doctor. So I either had to suffer, or ask a friend to go to the appointment - yes, a gynecologist first-checkup appointment - with me to translate. I am very very very very very very lucky to have a friend here who would actually do that and that I wouldn't be embarrassed to ask. Thank you again, Katy. :)

The appointment was all the way in Prague 4. We got there surprisingly on time (8:30am) because Prague 4 is way further than I thought it was. After a short time we found the office and got to the waiting room. They don't know you, there's no reception, you just sit there and go on the honor system - the doctor himself comes out and says, "NEXT!" in Czech. After a few women went out, it was my turn.

Everything was pretty standard - the checkup was just like in the US. Except the doctor was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and his office was decorated with posters, calendars, and a mouspad (not to mention his plastic bracelet) of his favorite soccer team. Despite how normal the checkup itself was, it ranks with the top most awkward moments of my life. Having a friend in the room with you translating a language you can't understand more than two words of, a doctor who looks like he's eager to leave and go to the big game (not wearing a white coat, even), and everything being in just one room (from the dressing area, to the chair, to the table, to his desk and computer, to the sink, etc.).. well it was definitely an experience to remember that I really would rather forget, but probably won't.


After that, Katy and I went to the mall nearby for breakfast. I had taken a half day of work so I didn't need to be in until 1pm. She asked what I wanted to do next, and I said, "Well, since we're free...do you want to accompany me to Hloubetin to find a Nintendo service store so I can buy a European Wii adapter?" She accepted of course, so off we went.

Prague 9 is FAR. It's even further from Prague 4. But we got there, and when we got out of the metro station, we couldn't believe this area - there was NOTHING. I rarely leave my comfort zone of Prague 5 (lots of shops, restaurants, offices, apartment buildings, malls) or Prague 1 or 2 (castles, touristy areas, shops, etc.). Prague 9 (at least around Hloubetin) had a bunch of factories, about 3 people on the street, and one giant highway running through it. We asked a guy for directions (who I totally wowed with my 3 words of Czech, by the way - he was super proud of me:), and began to walk. After walking about 1km, we stopped in a store and found out we were going the totally wrong way. We took a tram back to where we came from and found the shop, which wasn't far from where we got off the tram to begin with. I bought my Wii adapter uneventfully for 1300Kc and we were on our way. I headed to work and Katy headed home.

What an adventure. I'd never been so happy to get back to civilization. For those back home, imagine if you only ever saw downtown Pittsburgh or Oakland or Shadyside, and then you took a metro and ended up in Greentree or something - where it's just a highway and a bunch of giant places. Greentree is even stretching it, I'm thinking more like Aliquippa but without the guns and danger (Prague is pretty safe no matter where you go).


So that brings me to the weekend, I suppose. After work yesterday (Friday), Beliza and I decided to go see a movie, and I insisted on Julie and Julia, because I was dying to see it even in the US but it took longer to get here. We went for a drink and a couple small appetizers at the Argentinian place (codfish and prawns with toast, and a chimichanga de pollo, shared between us - yes, Mom, I ate fish:). We ate our little food and had our beer and browsed a bookstore until 7:30pm came around, then headed to the movie. It was great - what a sweet movie. We both came out loving it, and doing impressions of Julia Child. :)

After that I headed home, not really knowing what to do.. so I made some dinner and downloaded the new episode of The Office (Jim and Pam's wedding:). I was about 10 minutes into it when Petr IMed me and said he was bored at home and wanted to hang out. So rather than go anywhere, he just came over and we hung out here until around 2. He had to go to school early in the morning so it was probably bad that we hung out that long, but we might be seeing each other again tonight (so he says - my friend from work also wants to do something so who knows where I'll end up).

Tomorrow I'm going to watch the Steeler game with Beliza! She's excited to see an American football game in an American bar, and I'm excited to see my boys kick some ass. :) Go Pittsburgh!!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see he Black and Golds play! :D
    (See? I said "golds", not "yellows". I'm learning already :p)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you are so cute :) I'm excited, too!! I am bringing you a Steelers hoodie to wear :) yayayay

    ReplyDelete