Saturday, April 4, 2009

Reason to learn Czech? To see movies in Kazakh, of course!

Friday after work I went to a movie with Leila, her husband Dan, and Tiago. It was a movie from Kazakhstan in the film festival that was going on in Prague all week called Febiofest, and even though I was tired I was looking forward to it because I love foreign films. I had a disturbing thought, though, about a minute before the movie was going to start.

Our seats were a bit spread out, so Leila and Dan were together on the other side of the theater, and Tiago was sitting right in front of me. I leaned forward. "Oi Ti... do you think this movie will be in Kazakh with Czech subtitles, or will it have English subtitles?"
His face creased in worry for a moment, like mine, and then said, "It must have English subtitles."
"Okay, I hope so."

The movie started right on time and the credits started. Czech subtitles appeared at the bottom. I thought maybe once the dialogue of the movie started, the English would come up as well, but no such luck. Tiago, Leila, Dan and I started to exchange very amused glances.

Tiago and I agreed we should try, because in some movies you can get by without knowing what they're saying. Unfortunately this was not the case with this one. :) It's a shame, it looked like it would be really good. Maybe someday I can catch it again, with English subtitles. :) Thanks anyway, Leila. Sorry your tickets were wasted on us :)

Last night I went to dinner and then to Rincon Latino for dancing with Katy. I was still feeling wiped out from my allergies, and I think the medicine I'm taking is making me drowsy. I was feeling really claustrophobic no matter where I was last night, I didn't feel like dancing (so you know something must be wrong:), and I just wanted to sleep. I wanted to hold out as long as I could, and I made it until around 2:30 before I was wiped out. Katy was nice about it, I felt bad I was being lame, but she understood.

Today I slept until I woke up naturally, which was around 11:30am. It felt AWESOME, I've been kind of sleep-deprived all week. I got up, got ready, and went shopping around Můstek for a few hours. I have been wanting to buy a garnet ring, and near the beginning of my trip I was out walking one night with Danger and Moff and while Danger was at an ATM, I was looking in the window of a jewelry store where I fell in love with a certain ring design. So last week when I was around the Charles Bridge area, I went into about 10 different shops looking for it but I couldn't find it.

This week I went straight to this place and found that the guy was Croatian, not Czech, which made me like him more and happier to do business with him (not because I dislike Czech people, but because I very much like Croatian people:). He wasn't pushy at all and gave me nice opinions, and was chatty and friendly. My ring was a little expensive I guess, but I was looking for it for so long (a whole week:) that I didn't mind buying myself one nice thing while I'm here. Plus it wasn't THAT bad, I looked online and saw most garnet was more expensive, and plus.. it's just reeeeally pretty. :)

He resized it for me and I went for a walk during that time and found a present for my beloved baby brother (who is 16 and will always be my baby brother:), which was also probably too much money but it was the only thing I could find that I thought he'd REALLY like and not just politely thank me for and then never look at again. I couldn't find anything that was good enough for Mariah (my little sister), because she's also very important to me, so I ended up buying her something really beautiful back at the same jewelry shop. The Croatian guy gave me discounts on everything so it was reasonable, especially for what I got. I think she'll realy like it.

And that was that. I bought myself some lunch (at 4:30pm, more like dinner I guess) and then slept the rest of the day until a little while ago. Reason being, I am going to a club called Radost tonight, then going very early in the morning to stake out a good spot to see Obama!! So, I will not be sleeping until tomorrow afternoon. I had to save up the hours :) I can't wait to see my president!!

I didn't get to make my Steelers sign though :( I don't know where to buy that kind of stuff here. I will wear my Pitt hoodie and hope for the best. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment