Sunday, April 12, 2009

Mexi-fun

Yesterday I went to the mall with Tara and Ash, and then to Friday's (like I couldn't do that in Prague:). I had a beer with my meal and then when I got the bill, realized that beer is not cheaper than water here. It was $5 (100Kc) which got me down. I'm having a little bit of reverse culture shock, only when it comes to prices/money, but I guess that's normal.

Last night I went to a latin party with two of my favorite DJs, Juan Di and Sonido Azteca. It started out slow; when Tara and I arrived there were chairs all around the perimeter of the room and nobody was dancing. Ubaldo (Sonido Azteca) was playing a series of my favorite cumbias, so Tara and I figured, eff it, and got up and danced with each other. Nobody else was dancing so we just put on a show for them all (ha) and had a blast. After that we had no trouble finding dance partners all night.

I ran into one (m)ex-boyfriend, and it was an awkward meeting. We didn't dance but we did chat for a while, which was nice and re-affirmed that old decision. :) I met some new people, too. One of my favorite past times is messing with Mexicans that I meet for the first time.

"Heeey, de dónde eres?"
"Soy de aquí, de Pittsburgh."
"Wow, por qué hablas español entonces?"
"Por casualidad."

I get that question so much that I had to come up with some better responses than, "I studied Spanish in college." So I change it up between, "Just by chance," "I learned in the streets," and "I'm from Oaxaca, Mexico originally. Like the cheese." I entertain myself if no one else. :)

Anyway, I danced all night and my legs are sore today in a great way. I missed the feeling of dancing to exhaustion.

It was so good seeing all the people I missed... Pablo was there (my favorite cumbia partner), Beto (a goofy guy I've known for years now), Enrique (the dark-eyed, brooding mexican who speaks in puzzles), Rafael (who I only knew through myspace for a while, but then randomly showed up to my 24th birthday party at my house, and we were friends after that:)... it hit me how much I am really going to miss all of these people.

I'm oddly excited to go to work tomorrow. I want to see everyone and give them the presents I bought them, hug Maira 500x, have lunch with my old crew (Chris, Nasser, Bethany, Maira - make it happen!), and I remembered today that Danger will be in the office this week.

Wellll that's it for now. Happy Easter, everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment