Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's only day 3?

It feels like I've been here for weeks, for how much I've done. I am starting to see what everyone means about how small Prague is. It seemed like it was a huge city at first, but what looks like it's miles (sorry, kilometers:) away on a map is really only about a 20 minute walk, and a 5-minute tram ride.

By the way, under the advice of certain friends, I have skipped out on paying the fare on three tram rides and a metro ride, so far. I only actually paid for one ride in my time here so far. :) I am laughing about it now, but I won't be when I get a fine of 700 CZK from the undercover tram police.

Yesterday was a long but good day. Work came and went quickly. I did my first call-monitoring ever, and I think it went well. I went to TGI Friday's, of all places, with Zé, Tiago, and Raul for lunch. It was good, pretty much the same as in the US. I did some training for the team back at the office, and actually got to call my mom at the end of the day! It was so nice to hear her voice, even if it's only been a couple days and I didn't have much to say, since I write everything in here.

After work last night I went to drop off my stuff quickly at the hotel, then went right back out with Naima, Alessio, and Martino for dinner. For about $7 USD, I got a huge plate of pasta and chicken and a very tall glass of Czech beer. I don't usually drink beer, but there is a beer I really liked called Staropramen. Last night I tried one called Pilsner Urquell. It was good, too, but not as good as the other one. Alessio had one I liked also called Kozel dark - I thought it would be heavy and bitter but it tasted light and kind of sweet; I'll probably get that next time.

Anyway we had a nice meal, then Martino had tickets to a blacklight theater, which ended up being really cool. We took a tram up to another part of town, met up with Naima's boyfriend and Martino's girlfriend, and Alessio left us for the night, and the five of us went to the show. I've never seen anything like it; they were dancers (mostly ballet style, I'd say) dancing in glowing outfits and using other props, dancing under a blacklight. There was one part I particularly liked, in which two dancers had completely spandex outfits and one half of their body (right down the middle of them, like a line going down their face, chest, stomach, and one leg) was black, and therefore invisible, and the other half was a glowing white. So it was almost like two halves of one body dancing together. Very artsy and cool.

Eff, I just noticed it's snowing sideways outside.

Anyway Martino and his lady friend, who was also very nice, went to get a drink afterward but the rest of us were tired so we came back to the Andel's area and parted ways. I relaxed a bit in my room before bed doing a crossword puzzle and watching Anchorman (Marco, thank you so much for giving me a DVD of that movie! It is saving me here from all the Czech, German, and French TV. And CNN, which is pretty much the only English channel I get.

And for a final treat, here is my favorite song on Euro MTV:




I especially love the Euro-looking Michael Phelps-ish guy behind the bar who sings once in a while. He's my favorite part of the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment