Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ángeles y Cuernos

Work was a rough one today, so I was happy and excited to leave the office and go find dinner with Moff. We dropped our stuff off in our respective rooms and headed out on the town. We were sad cases, man. Tonight was the first night I didn't have someone from the team with me to help me pick dinner and translate the menu for me. We were just two non-Czech speakers, wandering around like lost souls.

In my mind I like to think it was a little more dramatic than it really was. In the movie version of tonight in my head, the song, "All By Myself" is playing as the soundtrack, and Moff and I are walking around a dark and damp city, down little side streets, just looking for any place with a menu in English. We looked in the windows at happy people drinking their Staropramens and reading their Czech menus without a care in the world, our mouths dry and our stomachs empty. We passed restaurant after restaurant, signs on every door front: Staropramen. Pilsner Urquell. Kozel. We'd run eagerly to the menus displayed in the windows and see a bunch of words with no vowels. Tears running down our faces, we came upon a building that was almost glowing like a beacon of hope in the darkness.

There it was - a menu in the window not only in Czech, but in English and Spanish. We ran down the stairs, where each table had a name, and chose the most fitting one - "Ángeles y Cuernos" (Dan being the ángel, me being the cuernos). We opened the menus, flipped eagerly to the back page, and as if the word had been highlighted using God's own highlighter, we stopped, open-mouthed in awe. Staropramen.



Okay, back to reality. In the end we ended up with one of most fantastic meals ever - the restaurant is awesome. I wanted dessert because they had all these awesome latin fruit desserts (grilled abacaxi, platanos fritos con helado), but I was way too full after my Argentenian burger with cucumbers on it. We sat there for probably a couple hours total just enjoying the place; it was a really good night.


And just to reiterate once more how awesome this city is, here goes:

6 large draft beers
1 appetizer of empanadas de carne
2 big and awesome dinners that would easily be between $10 and $15 USD each in the States

Grand total: 631 CZK, which works out to be around $27 USD.

Increíble, weyes.

And now I'll leave you with this.




Buenas noches, amores. I am finally leaving UAT behind and going to sleep :) I only have about four more slides to finish. Yayayayayay. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment