Tuesday, February 24, 2009

De compras

Work was another rough one, but my UAT presentation is just about done. I feel really good about how things are going so far though on this trip, work-wise, so at least that's a plus.

After work I went with Naima and Tiago to a little bar down the street where I had a glass of wine and petted a Czech greyhound. I wasn't very good company, I was just tired and mentally worn out from the day. After that I went with Naima to Tesco, the grocery store here, and walked around. I found a few things I've been wanting/needing. I spent a lot of time just walking around, looking at a bunch of stuff in Czech - labels on cans, greeting cards, office supplies.

I went to the express line and got behind a tall African guy. As I was walking through the mall I passed him, and I heard him say, "How are you?" in Czech as I passed by. I looked over and said, "Sorry, no Czech." He said, "English?" and I breathed a sigh of relief. "Yes."

We chatted a bit. He asked if I'm living here, I said just for two months, out of a hotel. I told him I could tell he wasn't from there because he was so casual about talking to a stranger in a mall :) I feel kind of bad that that's all I say, it's just the hardest thing I've ever had to get used to. I wish I could pull everyone to Pittsburgh just for a day so they could see why it's such an adjustment for me.

Anyway I said goodbye to him and a sincere, "Nice to meet you," and headed up to the food court to see if I'd be able to order my food without speaking the langugae. It ended up being okay because I chose Lebanese again. There were several Arabs there, but I didn't talk to anyone.. I was kind of in one of those moods again and just kinda moped my way back to the hotel.

Now I'm watching reruns of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" and talking to Thiago online. I'd bug more work people but I know they're busy today.

I feel down...

4 comments:

  1. I MISS YOU!!!! I watched True Beauty and I wanted you here SOOO bad to text me the entire show!!!!!!


    ps: Julia won!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww mannnn I was thinking about that show :( Which one was Julia? The one we liked? I forget their names because I'm so far away from good TV :( All I have is Family Guy in German.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "..and talking to Thiago online. I'd bug more work people but I know they're busy today."
    - Wow! Really? throwing me under the bus like that?! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will stop mentioning you all together. Hope you like apples.

    ReplyDelete