Saturday, November 28, 2009

Nigeria

I hate to discriminate against an entire country, but every Nigerian I've met in Prague has been either creepy or just completely inappropriate (or both). I went to a club with Katy and Derrick last night. As I was sitting off to the side watching people dance, a guy who was sitting in the chair next to me decided to try to hold my hand. Keep in mind he hadn't said anything, not even hello - just reached right for my hand. He looked surprised when I gave him a wtf-look and pulled my hand away.

A few minutes later...
Guy: Hi.
Me: Hi.
Guy: Where are you from?
Me: Nigeria. (note: I knew he would be, so I was just messing with him:)
Guy: (laughs) Oh really, what part?
Me: The north. And you?
Guy: Same.
Me: By the way, I'm really from the US.
Guy: I figured.

A few minutes pass.

Guy: So what's your name?
Me: Alia. You?
Guy: Pascal.

A few minutes pass again.

Guy: So when are you leaving the club?
Me: Probably not after much longer, I'm pretty tired.
Guy: I want to leave with you.
Me: Good luck with that. (sarcastically)

A few minutes later...

Guy: So I can leave with you?
Me: No.
Guy: Why not?
Me: Are you kidding? Did this ever actually work for you? I mean, has a girl ever actually taken you home with her after just getting her name and what country she's from?
Guy: No...
Me: Well, maybe that's a sign you should change your methods.

I started to put my coat on then, because Katy and Derrick were ready to go.

Guy: So I can leave with you?

I didn't even answer. What a waste of life. I can't tell you how many similar conversations I've had here, all with Nigerians. I met people from plenty of other African countries and have had nice conversations. Don't think for a second that this is a race issue or discrimination against a whole continent. But seriously - WHAT IS GOING ON WITH NIGERIA THAT THESE GUYS THINK IT'S OKAY TO TALK TO WOMEN LIKE THIS?!?!??


Anyway, on a happier note, I'm officially going home on December 19 :) I can't wait to:
1. Hug my mom
2. Eat mom's cooking
3. Drive around aimlessly and walk around the mall with Tara and Ash
4. Cuddle with Maira
5. Smooch Nalo endlessly
6. Go dancing at all of Juan Di's events
7. Have happy hour at Sammy's with all my work friends
8. Eat Frank's pizza
9. Our annual Christmas party
10. Spend an entire night gabbing with my adorable baby sister (baby = 15 years old)

There's more but I won't bother listing it all out :) I am so excited. It will be hard to pack all this and more into just two weeks, but I am sure I can make it happen. :)

Hugs to everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Cute story! And I love your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. number 4 should move to the second spot of the list..... im ok with your mom getting a hug first ... after that.. U ARE MINE!! U ARE SOOO MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... A friend of mine has similar stories with guys from Senegal. Once, she was in a supermarket, a guy came up to her: "Bonjour Mademoiselle!", asking her name and such, and then: "I live around the corner!"
    Just like that!! DO they really think this works??!!
    On a nicer tone: Have "a fun" in the US! :D

    ReplyDelete