Wednesday, July 8, 2009

sreality.cz

Tonight I spent some time looking for apartments. I learned enough Czech (and by "enough" I mean about 15-20 words total, 10 of which are the numbers 1-10) while I was there to figure out how to search apartments on this site.

I found 5 or so apartments, and wrote an e-mail for each one, that I really liked. I had two favorites, and both are pretty close to work. I hope they're not gone by the time I get there. I can't get over how much cheaper the apartments are on that site versus expats.cz or prague.tv. What a ripoff - I'm so glad I have Katy who keeps me in check and doesn't let me get tricked.

I'm really looking forward to living alone, and I think I made the right decision. I'm 26 - it's time for my own place. I've had apartments before but always with a roommate. If Tara were going with me, there would be no question about living with her, but she's not - and I just can't live with strangers. I would feel trapped in one little room, even if it were a shared living space. If it really is draining me financially once I'm there, and if I meet someone great who I think I could really live with and get along with, I'll do it, maybe in a year or so. But for now, I just need to do this.

Plus, it's soooo much fun to decorate :)

Speaking of decorating, I redid my blog layout. Pretty, huh?

Things to do:
-Go to NYC to apply for visas.
-Go back to NYC to pick up short term visa.
-Pack SOMETHING. ANYTHING.
-Go to Raquel's picnic this weekend.
-Make baklawa and tortilla española for Raquel's picnic.
-Banjo night tomorrow.
-Pick up Ahmad from airport Thursday.
-CPAS ANL.
-Migrations project.
-Get a good night's sleep (yeah right).
-Figure out how to move to another country.


It feels good to write that down, albeit out of order and incomplete. I am feeling very overwhelmed. My solution? Go take a shower and do Games Magazine crossword puzzles until I fall asleep.

1 comment:

  1. Expats is a rip-off, especially the advertisements put up there, but if you contact those in the accommodation forum and leave your own ad and your own budget, you'd be surprised what you can get. I found mine entirely on expats (and entirely in English) before even arriving and have been told by several locals that what I'm paying is actually pretty good (I was in touch with about 10-20 people before I made a decision). The prices are pretty much the same if you are selective enough. Anyway I hope you get the flat you are looking for!! :) My first choice didn't pan out but I'm actually super happy in this flat. I know what you mean about being 26 and having your own space!!!
    All the best,
    Benny - the Irish polyglot

    ReplyDelete