Thursday, July 30, 2009

Byebye Belongings

Today the movers came. I worked on "packing" (I put this in quotation marks because all I had to do was put things into piles for the movers to pack for me) all day yesterday. Hours and hours. I was up until about 3am getting things together, looking through things, deciding, "Will I want this in Prague? And, if I don't, will I ever want it, or should I just throw it away?" What a long day.

Today the movers came and they didn't have enough boxes or supplies. They were, apparently, under the impression that I already had everything packed myself. I had offered, but the woman on the phone said that because it was international, they have to pack according to customs regulations anyway, so to just make piles of stuff. So, they had to leave and come back, thank goodness the company is located not too far from where I live.

It was uneventful. I felt very strange sitting by while they did all the work. I'm a helping kinda girl, but after I asked several times if there was something I could do, I could tell they wanted me to just leave them alone so I did. I sat by and did a crossword puzzle while they packed and packed. They had arrived around 8:30am (after coming back with supplies), and left around 11am. Not bad!

And that's that.. all of a sudden this is more real than it has been yet (though still not 100%). I am left with a completely empty closet, enough clothes just for a few weeks, no shoes in my closet except the few pairs I'm taking along for the short term. Am I so materialistic that I feel this empty without my things?

I think it's just the realization setting in that this is really happening. For real. In a few days I will be living in Europe. In a country I never thought I'd even visit, so much as live in.

OH well. I will have my proper last hurrahs and say goodbye, as we all must do at some point in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment