Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Food Chain

Today I was actually ready on time. I got in my car, and in no hurry, sat for a minute or two fiddling with the radio. I rolled down the window because my side mirror was too foggy to see anything. I started to wipe it off.

Just then, I saw a baby bunny run into the street from my neighbor's yard. Before I could even think, "Aww," a cat leapt out from the yard as if they'd been chasing for some time. Right there, a mere 10 feet away from me, the cat caught the baby bunny by its neck. I saw the bunny struggle and shake. The cat ran into some high grass across the street where I could still see it. It dropped the bunny, and I waited for it to run away but I guess it was too late.

I was horrified. I kept thinking, maybe I could have done something to save the bunny. I could have beeped the car horn, or yelled something because my window was down, just to scare the cat away. Then I thought, why? Just because the bunny was cute? All animals have to eat. I had hoped this thought would make me feel better, but it didn't. I tried to close my eyes on the bus to sleep but I just kept seeing the lifeless little bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment