Monday, January 25, 2010

Weekend and Nostalgia

I always feel the need to stress that I am happy in Prague, even though I talk about how much I miss Pittsburgh. Ever since I got back from my Christmas holidays, I have felt so nostalgic for home, and all of the special things that you can only buy/say/do in Pittsburgh.

So, here is a list of 20 things that I miss about my life back home:
1. Primanti's
2. Chatting with strangers
3. Qdoba (okay, so this one isn't just Pittsburgh, but I still wish there were some way for Maira to inter-office mail me a fajita ranchera burrito and some chips&queso)
4. Sunday night salsa, and being dead tired all day Monday yet completely regret-free
5. Working with the people in the Pittsburgh office
6. Pittsburghese
7. Not being around people who like to remind me how Europe (and Europeans) is superior to the U.S. in every way, shape, and form
8. Speaking English everywhere, and being able to ask questions in shops and restaurants (i.e. can I change the dumplings for french fries, do you have any Frank's Red Hot for my pizza, can I please have a bottle of Heinz Ketchup with that)
9. Frank's Red Hot
10. Heinz Ketchup
11. Red Devil sauce
12. Mom's cooking (nothing specific, just everything)
13. Driving a car (more specifically, not having to carry heavy bags of groceries up a hill covered in ice while the cold wind blows so hard, numbing my hands, that I can't feel if I'm holding the bags anymore or not, then carrying the bags up three flights of stairs)
14. Weeknight TV nights with mom
15. Saturday mall trips with Tara and/or Ashley
16. Sunday visits at Dad's house
17. Driving around listening to music with Tara
18. Maira in general
19. Firehouse nights followed by Fathead's days
20. Shopping constantly


Now that that's out of the way, I will talk a bit about my weekend. On Friday after work I went with Beliza and Elena to the Argentinian restaurant to have a glass of wine. Well, one glass of wine turned into two glasses, then it turned into dinner, and I got home around 9:45pm. By that time, Katy figured I didn't want to go out, so we called off our plans for the night which really didn't bother me, as I was tired and it was insanely cold outside.

Saturday I slept all day. There is nothing to tell here because all I did was sleep on and off and watch episodes of True Blood on my computer. Plus I ate. Sooo interesting this day. :)

At night though, Katy, Derrick, and Denisa came over. We girls got ready together, we did a little Becherovka-style pregaming, and then headed out to Radost for the night. Met a nice Irish guy and his American friend and hung out with them a bit, danced a lot, goofed around, then ended up dancing with a guy from Cote d'Ivoire for about an hour, around 4am or so. Danced till about 5, hung out until about 5:30am, then finally arrived home around 6:30am. I got into bed at 7 and slept until about 1pm on Sunday, and forced myself to stay awake all day so I could be tired at night. I busied myself cleaning the apartment (landlord is coming over today) and cooking a nice dinner, watching some movies, reading. At night I called Tara and then my mom and talked for about an hour total - that part was awesome. I really miss them both.

All in all it was a relaxing weekend. I woke up today about 5 minutes before my alarm feeling completely rested. Definitely a good start for a Monday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment