Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sleeping quarters

It's Saturday morning and I feel great.

The week was a rough one, full of annoying questions and pesky tasks.

I had fun on Thursday night, though. I went out to La Casa Blu with Henrique, Mohammad (his Syrian friend visiting from France), Beliza, Martino, Naima, and Theresa. They have decent Mexican food. Not great, but okay. We had a nice time talking and eating and laughing, then we walked the center's icy streets over to Chapeau Rouge for salsa night (we had 3-4 dancers in the group, and all drinkers:). We stayed for about an hour total and then headed in our respective directions. I got home around midnight which wasn't all that bad for such a night out. I wasn't even tired the next day.

Friday came as quickly as it could this week and maybe it's that my years are slowly ticking by, but I was content to just make a nice dinner and stay home alone on a Friday night. I think if the weather were better I'd probably want to be out and about, but the sidewalks are covered in ice and the streets are covered in gray slush, not to mention the cold. So the idea of cooking a meal, having a glass of wine, watching a movie and playing my new computer game won out over anything else.

This morning Ikea was going to come deliver my new mattress between 10am and 2pm. I complained about my bed breaking (the slats falling down when you lie/sit on the bed) and they came to fix it. The same night it was broken again - this time I decided to just buy a cheap but decently thick mattress to go on top of my wooden slats (which keep the bed off the ground and give me some back support because they're angled), then my good mattress that I spent more on, and then another thinner but still mattress-like thing on top of that, then sheets and blankets. So they brought the new cheap mattress and took the bed away.

Before they came I decided to clean - I swept the floors (it was totally gross), washed dishes, cleaned the bathroom, and put a bunch of clean clothes away that I had lying around for a week or so. They came and went pretty quickly, and I put together the new "bed". Guess what? It's more comfortable than when I had a real bed.

This whole thing makes me want to put a pea underneath everything to see if I can feel it. Nobody's slept on top of this many mattresses since that princess.


Tonight I have plans to go to a place called Lucerna that will be playing 80s-90s music. I have a nice group going - Diana, Beliza, Gabriela, and MAYBE Henrique and Mohammad, and also MAYBE Martino. We'll see. Either way it has the makings of a good night already, for how rested and happy I'm feeling today.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment